I’m a bit tired from so many things going on at the moment, so apologies for the lack of originality tonight. I thought I would share in the Sunday Stealing meme today for a little bit of thought tweaking and creativity juice-making. If you want to join in please click the link above and follow the instructions.
Cheers to all of us thieves!
1. As a blogger, what do you draw inspirations from for your posts?
Lots of things: my daily activity, the things I am involved with at church, things I want to do, things I find interesting that I want to share, thoughts for the day that I find inspiring, things that happened in history on today’s date, things in the news, other people’s posts, funny things….all sorts really.
2. If you could swap blogs with another blogger for a post, who would you switch with and why?
I wouldn’t swap. Not because I have a huge ego or anything, but my blog is almost like a tapestry of my own life and thoughts and observations and interests, so to swap with someone else would introduce a note of insincerity into it.
3. If your blog had a theme song, what would it be? Why?
Not to be too cliched, I would choose “Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life”. Because it’s true. I’ve had so much crap to deal with and endure in the past 20 years that the only way to rise above it and turn those horrific experiences into something positive is to look on the bright side.
4. What is your writing process for a post?
I have committed myself to the postaday2011 challenge this year and I have not missed a day ALL YEAR, which is an achievement I am extremely proud of. I have posted every day despite being hospitalised twice for a week each time, and going away on holiday, which took a huge amount of forethought and planning before I went away! The process for writing varies depending on how easy I’m finding a topic for the day. Some months have been easy because I have joined in with a 30 day something challenge (films, books, songs etc) but others have been really hard and on those days and weeks I have turned to lots of sources to try and find inspirations. See my answer to number 1 above. Sometimes I like to write notes in my notebook first, sometimes I write the whole thing out longhand. Other times I type it up in Word so I can make changes after it has brewed a while, other times again I type straight into WordPress and away we go.
5. Your blog requires a cute, new, mascot – what would it be?
I don’t do “cute”, but for the purposes of this answer I will say a penguin.
6. Do you feel you express your “true self” on your blog?
Mostly. I think if I wasn’t to express my true self then I wouldn’t be being honest with my readers and I would have to work too hard at manufacturing a persona that I had to keep up from day to day. I don’t reveal absolutely everything about myself though – some bits are only for my own four walls, which only my husband and children are entitled to see. I wouldn’t reveal all of myself to my real-life friends and in the same way I wouldn’t reveal all on my blog either.
7. What is your biggest online pet-peeve?
Blogs with white writing on black or dark backgrounds. They are impossible to read and when you have tried for a few seconds and look away, your eyes retain the image stamped on your retina. Not nice, not comfortable, and not necessary.
I would love to live at Hogwarts. I always wanted to go to Malory Towers when I was a kid (thank you Enid Blyton) but now I’m a grown up and have discovered Harry Potter, my affections have shifted slightly. The anarchy-with-adult-supervision is very appealing. As is the constant presence of house elves who clean up after you and provide you with all your food and drink requirements as well as washing your dirty socks.
9. You’re having a bad day, you’re upset, you’re angry, or you’re sad – what is your go-to comfort?
Music. For anxiety or depression, mood music is the key. For sadness Garth Brooks. Upset/unhappy Barbra Streisand.
10. What is your favourite inspirational quote?
“There is only one Jesus Christ and all the rest is dispute over trifles”. Elizabeth I said this and she is right. So much time and effort is wasted on arguing the finer points of Christianity and the glaringly obvious truth is missed – Jesus Christ died to save us and his biggest lesson is simply to love one another.
11. If they were to make a movie based on your life, who would play you, your leading lady/man, your best friend, and your rival?
I don’t think there is anyone complicated enough to play me!
12. Do you think the world is going to end in 2012?
13. If you could change anything about yourself, what would it be?
The amount of “padding” I carry…ahem.
14. What is your favourite season and why?
Autumn because it’s the time of voluptuous bounty from the earth and is the start of the slow-down to Winter.
15. You’ve been bitten by a vampire. Would you fight it with all your undead being or would you embrace it for all it is worth?
I would embrace it!
16. Have you personally met any of your blogger friends?
No. Most of them live overseas and my nearest blogger friend (that I know) is Robin on a croft in Scotland.
17. What does your favourite pair of underwear look like?
Black, roomy and came in a a pack of 5.
18. Have you ever drank something right from the container in the refrigerator knowing other people will have to drink out of the same container later?
Yes. Who hasn’t?
19. What is your favourite word and explain why?
“Love” because it is a multi-layered word that can mean so much and portray so many things with so many different meanings behind it. I wish more people (and one in particular) would understand what LOVE means.
20. 2011 is soon coming to a close, is there anything you’d like to do different on your blog in the year 2012?
I wish I could settle on the perfect theme for my blog. I go through phases where I change it quite quickly, but the one I’ve got at the moment has been around for a little while now. I can never find the exact perfect look to my blog and it’s always a game of compromise for me. As for the content of it I think the only thing I would like to do different would be to introduce some more creative writing into it rather than just factual posts, or posts that rely on memes to get me through my “can’t think of anything valuable to say but got to say something to comply with my postaday2011 commitment”.