Day Six: Top Five Things That Happened To You So Far This Year
Sorry for the gap in posts, but here we are with day 6 of the Top 5 30 Day Challenge.
For this one, as it is only March, I am going to take “top” as “most significant” things that have happened to me this year. Here goes:
1. I have finally got an explanation for my abdominal pain and it doesn’t look particularly promising. I have got to have another scan in 6 months time to check on the progress of several “growths” in and around my biliary system. I am told they are not likely to be cancerous (thank the Lord!) but there is a niggling little voice at the back of my mind that keeps echoing the word “likely”….
2. I have successfully run a series of Sunday School classes for the children at my church. It’s particularly significant a) given the health problems above, and b) because my self-confidence has been at an all time low. I have learned an awful lot from the experience and I have felt myself grow spiritually as well as in confidence.
3. I lost my hero at the beginning of this month. I have spoken about him before, but my Dad’s older brother, David, lost his brief but brutal battle with liver cancer on March 6th. As well as being a personal bereavement, the loss of David has caused a seismic shift in the dynamic of our family.
4. My son’s voice has broken in recent weeks. I count this as significant because, as any mother will tell you, as my youngest he is therefore my baby no matter how old he is. He turned 13 in January and he changed into a very reticent, awkward and gangly youth with a croaky, husky voice literally overnight. My little baby boy has gone forever and emerging (slowly and with much deodorant and shower gel) is my son, the man.
5. Connected to number 4, my relationship with my husband is currently undergoing a change. We seem to be coming to an end of the relentless “parenting” that we have done for the past 19 years, and our worry and stress is becoming replaced with other things. For instance, we have both attended the Alpha course recently – 12 weeks of spiritual examination and reflection on who/what/why God is – and on Friday night we went to see University Challenge being filmed at the Granada studios in Manchester. Things that we couldn’t have done if our children were still young and needy and it’s nice to find that we are emerging, blinking and wheezing, into the sunlight of a long established friendship. It’s a bit like coming out of an Andersen shelter after a blitz and finding that even though the house has been bombed, the roses in the garden are still blooming in the sunshine.
- Top 5 30 Day Challenge – Day Four (sterlingsop.wordpress.com)