1. Summertime is a season of reunions, weddings, and other family celebrations and gatherings…are any of the above on your calendar in the next two months?
We have a camping holiday planned for the beginning of August and we are hoping to spend a couple of days with my brother and his family. Not got any weddings or reunions planned in the next two months but my cousin Kathryn will be getting married in September. We’re working out how we can go to support her because she lives a distance away from us and she’s getting married on a Friday, so getting time off for Kevin is a bit of an issue. It is important to me that we go because apart from being my cousin and I love her for that, she is my Uncle David’s daughter and I owe it to him to see her on her big day because he isn’t here in person to see her himself.
2. June is National Iced Tea Month…are you an iced tea drinker? If so, how do you like yours (sweet, flavoured, etc)?
Ick!!! I’ve only had iced tea once and thought it was a weak, insipid, sickly drink of nothingness. It was like drinking a glassful of my own tears. Horrible stuff!
3. When were you last nervous? Looking back, was the event actually ‘nerve-worthy’?
I was really nervous about the Christian retreat we went on last weekend. Not that I’m nervous about being a Christian, but the weekend was with people who I kind of knew but didn’t know very well, it was a distance away and I was worried about embarrassing myself by being ill whilst I was there. As it happened, it was a lovely weekend and I really enjoyed myself for the most part. I met some lovely people and I feel I’ve laid the foundations of some very firm friendships with some new people.
4. The bristle toothbrush was invented in China on June 26, 1498…not sure how that date was pinned down so precisely but, on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being sick to your stomach and 1 being not at all, how nervous do you feel when you’re headed to the dentist? Do you see your dentist twice a year?
I am so terrified of the dentist I tackle it by only going when I know there’s something actually WRONG. Whenever I get treatment I have to be sedated first and my way of managing my fear of the dentist is to look after my teeth as if they were little children living in my mouth. I watch what I eat and I brush and floss carefully every day so to preserve what I’ve got without going to the dentist. You could say I’m an all out 10 out of 10 when it comes to nervousness. I physically start to shake two to three days before I know I’m going and I’ve been known to pass out walking through the doorway before now. Pathetic really, especially when you consider the other traumas by body has been through!
5. What’s making news in your town this week?
Things are pretty quiet here at the moment really, probably due to it being summer and football isn’t being played so Manchester City and Manchester United are out of the news. In the “real” world, the biggest thing to have rocked the town in recent weeks, was the council who decided to clear away the floral tributes to Lee Rigby in the town centre without consulting with his family beforehand. If you don’t know the significance of that, Lee was a local boy who was murdered in Woolwich, London by two terrorists outside the army barracks while he was off duty last month. The whole town has pulled together in its tributes to him and there was a huge carpet of flowers and flags laid out in the gardens in the centre of town for weeks afterwards, but the council have just gone in and cleared the whole lot away. We haven’t even had the funeral yet and already the floral markers have gone.
6. Curtains, drapes, blinds…your window treatment of choice? Are there any bare windows in your house? Is that by choice or because you just haven’t gotten around to covering them?
We have vertical blinds in most windows, roller blinds in the others along with curtains in the bedrooms and the living room. I would love to live in a house where the rooms were big enough to hold floor to ceiling windows on the ground floor and I would love to have a huge picture window looking out onto the countryside or maybe over some rocks and cliffs to the sea.
7. Summertime is officially here (in the Northern hemisphere anyway)….what one song is a must-have on your summer playlist?
“Beach Baby” by The First Class. It never fails to get me bopping!!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I badly need a holiday! The weekend away with Kevin last weekend at the Christian retreat was a tantalising taster of the rest and relaxation that we both need desperately. We haven’t had the money to go away for over a year and our caravan is just standing on the driveway, sulking at us because it’s only been used once since we bought her. Roll on the summer when we can get away and get a change of scenery. Need to see my brother and his family too – I miss my sister in law Debbie like mad. We’ve not had a good natter for ages and I need her common sense and her sense of fun. And the girls….oh boy! My two nieces are going to get the hugs and squeezes of their lives when we do catch up with them!!
- Wednesday HodgePodge – Round 35 (learningfromsophie.com)