Here’s a little list of factoids for you to have a think about:
1. A coal-fired power station puts 100 times more radiation into the air than a nuclear power plant producing the same amount of energy.
2. Treasure Island in Lake Mindemoya on Manitoulin Island in Lake Huron is the largest island in a lake on an island in a lake in the world.
3. The strongest creatures on Earth are gonorrhoea bacteria. They can pull 100,000 times their own body weight.
4. A dog has the same carbon footprint as two Toyota Landcruisers; a cat the same environmental effect as a Volkswagen Golf; two hamsters the same as a plasma TV.
5. Humans have the same number of hair follicles as chimpanzees.
6. Sticking with primates, gorillas and potatoes have two more chromosomes than people.
7. The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
8. An orange is a berry.
9. A strawberry isn’t.
10. In 117AD, Emperor Hadrian declared attempted suicide by soldiers a form of desertion and made it a capital offence.
11. Slavery was not made a statutory offence in the UK until 6th April 2010.
12. In 1915, Charlie Chaplin entered a Charlie Chaplin lookalike competition in San Francisco. Not only did he not win, he didn’t even make it to the final.
13. In 1997, 39 people in the UK found themselves in hospital with tea-cosy related injuries (the mind boggles).
14. A baby oyster is called a “spat”.
15. If a vampire were to feed once a day and turn each of his victims into a vampire, the entire human population of the planet would become vampires in just over a month.