As weather seems to be a hot topic at the minute (haha!), here are 10 facts you may or may not know about it:
1. The world’s first weather map was published in The Times on 1st April 1875. It gave the weather for the previous day.
2. Handschuschneeballwerfer is German slang for “coward”. It means someone who wears gloves to throw snowballs.
3. Two thirds of the world’s population have never seen snow.
4. A williwaw is a sudden gust of wind coming off a high plateau.
5. South East England has a lower annual rainfall than Jerusalem or Beirut.
6. The Turkish for “ski” is kayak.
7. The speed of the wind has fallen by 60% in the last 30 years.
8. The pleasant smell of earth after rain is caused by bacteria in the soil and is called petrichor – from Greek petros “stone” and ichor, “The fluid that flows through the veins of the gods”.
9. Because there is no weather on the moon, the footprints of the 12 men who walked on it are still there.
10. The average person in the UK talks about the weather 44 times a month to 18 other people.