1. July 20th marks the anniversary of the first time man stood on the moon. Flash forward 42 years to July 8, 2011 which marked the start of the final Space Shuttle mission. Should we continue to explore space? Should nations devote more or fewer of their resources to exploring space? Would you want to go into space if the opportunity arose?
I think with all the problems we face here on Earth and in our own societies, resources and efforts should be ploughed into solving those before we start looking for more that are of no concern to us. I totally get the fact that we have so many products now that have come about because of the need to crack space, but what about solving the problems such as drought and hunger? Maybe I see things differently because Britain hasn’t really been a forerunner in the space race, but to me the whole space exploration thing has been a huge waste of scientific research. And no, thank you, I wouldn’t like to go into space.
2. What are three things in your freezer?
Some home-made curries, Holland’s pies and a couple of ice packs for first-aid usage. That’s only three….but there is more obviously!
3. If you could see any band/artist perform live tonite who would it be? It has to be someone living-no Beatles, Elvis, etc.
I would jump through flaming hoops to see either Barry Manilow or Tom Jones.
4. Ice-cubed or crushed? Or are you one of those people who don’t like ice?
I have incredibly sensitive teeth, but I don’t like warm coke so I’d prefer to have ice than not, but not if there’s a chance it can stray into my mouth when I don’t expect it. I guess then my choice would be huge chunks of ice please!!! (The sensitive teeth thing drives me crackers. I can’t even eat tomatoes now whether they’ve been in the fridge or not).
5. The owner of a small restaurant outside of Pittsburgh recently announced he was banning children under six, saying they regularly disrupted other customer’s meals. You can read the story here in more detail but isn’t this a perfect topic to discuss in our Wednesday Hodgepodge? Have at it friends…what are your thoughts?
I agree with Joyce, it’s all about how parents expect their children to behave and then get on with enforcing that expectation. I can’t see how a restaurant owner can put an age limit on badly behaved children – what would he do about a 7yr old having a tantrum? Or an 8yr old running about or being noisy and abusive?? Similarly, you can’t tar all kids with the same brush – not all toddlers are fussy eaters, and not all 5yr olds are whingy, whiny, tantrummy little beasts!
6. What was your first car? How did it come to be yours?
My first car was a Mini 1275 and I bought it for £30. It originally was an automatic and the engine was a tad dodgy, so Kevin and I bought a new engine and manual gearbox and installed it ourselves. We resprayed it British Racing Green and replaced the interior. It was fantastic!! I bought it from a friend of a friend who wanted to scrap it.
7. If I had a nickel for every time I had to remind my son to brush his teeth in the morning I’d be rich.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I love Marmite.