Welcome to my Wednesday Hodgepodge. As ever, thanks go to Joyce from across the pond for setting the questions!!
1.Will you watch the Super Bowl? If so who will you root for? If you are outside the USA what is the ‘big deal sporting event’ in your own country? I live in England so have got very little idea about the Super Bowl but the “big deal sporting event” here usually is something to do with football (or soccer, as Americans know it). There are several annual football events that are pretty big deals, the biggest being probably the FA Cup Final. It’s a tournament where league and non-league teams play each other in knockout rounds over the course of the season (Sept to May each year). Its popularity is because the big teams of the Premiership can be up against the smaller local teams – and there’s always a risk that one of the smaller teams can become what we call “giant killers” and knock out the big multi-million pound teams. For example, Manchester United (big team) could be up against Macclesfield Town (local team) in one of the earlier rounds and if they have a spectacularly bad day they could actually be knocked out. Of course, by the time the Cup Final comes around in May the smaller teams have usually been knocked out, but not always.
Of course, football isn’t the only popular sport in England and we are a big nation of rugby and cricket lovers too. The biggest rugby tournament is the Six Nations (contested between England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France and since 2000 Italy) and we are big fans of the Test series of cricket matches. We love beating the Aussies at cricket but none more so than when they are competing for the Ashes. If you want to know more about the Six Nations and the Ashes then my good friend Wikipedia is better at explaining them than I am!!
2. Is ignorance bliss? No – it’s usually a case of planting timebombs. In my experience, if you don’t know about it at the time it’s only going to blow up in your face later.
3. Which of the seven dwarfs are you? (and just in case your Disney is a little bit rusty, here they are-Bashful, Doc, Dopey, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, and Sneezy) It depends at what stage of my monthly cycle I am…..some days I can all seven in the space of 7 seconds! Mainly though, I’m HAPPY 🙂
4. When you are riding in the car with another couple how do you organize the seating? (Men up front? Women up front? Couples sit together?) And thanks to Lori at Mountain Woman at Heart for the question! Everyone go say hi to Lori. It’s all a question of hierarchy and seniority. Generally speaking, the older and the more male they are the chances of them sitting in the front increase significantly. Unless someone else has a bad back, like my Mum.
5. What is beauty? Beauty is what you feel when you look at the person you love. It is the feeling you get when you see early morning mist at sunrise. It’s the warm glow you have in your heart when your soul-mate smiles at you. Beauty is what you see when you see God in everything.
6. If someone asks you to bring an appetizer or a dessert to a party in their home, which would you choose? I’d choose to take my world-famous Black Forest Trifle.
7. What is your crowd pleasing go-to appetizer? Not sure about appetiser, but whenever I make Paella no matter how much I make there never seems to be enough!!
8. Insert your own random thought here. Even when your heart is breaking with grief and misery there is room for laughter and joy. My Aunty’s funeral had a bit of a (major) hiccup today when the hearse broke down on the way to the cemetery. In the midst of the anguish of losing her was the laughter and drawing together of the family supporting each other through the unthinkable.